Monday, March 31, 2008

Brain at absolute zero


The countdown to the Brew-to-Brew has begun. My mantra throughout will be: rediscover the inner turtle (well maybe not this turtle). On the 22nd I ran 16 miles at a leisurely pace to see how my race would go: it worked out well and I finished feeling I could do another 27-28 miles. Last Saturday's run was less spectacular, but I still feel like I'm ready. I just need to book a room, find an ironic t-shirt, and get some last-minute supplies together. This is an exciting week. I'm looking forward to Sunday's run which promises mild weather and then - the following day - I'll mothball the running shoes and become some sort of Biking Giant.
I'm really more of a biker, but winter ultra-running is a nice change of pace and it's a weight-bearing exercise which Ed Pavelka has convinced me is important for cyclists to engage in. Still, it's hard not be excited about this year's cycling season: following the Boz's meteoric rise through the ranks of road and off-road racing; knocking out the Brevet series, completing the Five-star century series on the fixie, and (though France is out of the question) maybe taking a bike tour in Colorado or New England.
The above picture of Sammo was taken at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich a few years ago - left foot in the western hemisphere, right foot in the eastern hemisphere, brain at absolute zero.

No comments: