Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The new machine



The I-don't-care-if it gets-stolen bike. This is what we'll all be on when, in the not so distant future, we fondly recall $4 gas. I fixed the wobbly headset, and put the old brake pads back on last night. It doesn't stop any more swiftly, but it's quieter. I teased my lovely wife that this is the sort of bike I'll ride when we retire to Florida where I'll ride it in just a speedo and some gold chains covering my tanned, leathery skin.

The new project is a Hercules frame I purchased at Bikeworks. It's a lugged, english lightweight, 3-speed from the late 60's I would guess. The frame weighs about a third what the Varsity's frame weighs. I'm already oogling a sprung Brooks saddle for it.

1 comment:

Boz said...

Cherry! I'm in the process of building a true euro commuter bike myself. It won't be as tres chic as your Floridian Sunray, mind you.